On Friday, 13 October 2017, we formally petitioned the Utah Republican Party for “Official Auxiliary Status”. This is the first step in being recognized by the majority Party in the State.
At the time we told there would be no meeting of the Executive Committee in October, so we asked that our Petition be brought directly to the State Central Committee. This was per the precedent set in the September meeting of the State Central Committee when the Rural Alliance’s Petition was heard and voted upon, and that group invited into the Utah GOP as an Official Auxiliary.
The email we received back was disappointing. In short, it stated that we’d need to petition the Executive Committee, and that their “meetings are typically held every month”. The Party committed to “notify [us] when the next meeting date has been set so a representative can come to the meeting to speak for” our organization.
We are discouraged by this setback, but await their notification and will update you as our Petition progresses.
SUBJECT: Agenda Item for the Next Meeting of the SCC – Petition for Official Auxiliary StatusDear Leadership of the Utah Republican Party,
We have been asked by the membership of the Utah Republican Native American Caucus (“Republican Natives”), to formally petition for official auxiliary status with the UTGOP.
The stated mission of the Utah Republican Native American Caucus is:
“Native Americans throughout history have had sometimes tragic interactions with various governments and their agents. It is our hope that we may offer an amplified voice from this underrepresented segment of our great State to elected and appointed officials, and strengthen the bonds of friendship with our brothers and sisters, regardless of their lineage or tribal affiliation.”
The stated purpose of the Utah Republican Native American Caucus is to:
– Support the Utah Republican Party Platform and the promotion of its values and ideals.
– Educate and inform political office holders with information regarding Utah Republican Party Platform values and ideals, and how they positively impact the lives of Utah Native Americans.
– Provide a voice for Native Americans in Utah Politics and in the Utah Republican Party.
– Provide information, support, training, and guidance to Native American Republicans interested in elected or appointed political office.
– Provide information, support, training, and guidance to Utah Native Americans on the importance of values and ideals of the Utah Republican Party Platform.
The Bylaws of the Utah Republican Native American Caucus are attached.
Both the stated purpose and bylaws of our organization comply with and assist in the Party’s purpose of electing Republicans to office.
As of this petition, our current membership consists of 36 active members (list with contact information is attached).Please note that all voting members of the group are registered Republicans.
As we understand, there will be no meeting of the Executive Committee this month, we ask that our Petition be brought directly to the State Central Committee, per the president set in the September meeting.
Utah Republican Native American Caucus
The Utah Republican Party Bylaws pertaining to official auxiliaries are included here for your convenience and reference:
3.0 B. Auxiliaries. The State Executive Committee shall ensure that groups petitioning for official auxiliary status meet the following minimum criteria:
3.0 C. Have submitted a copy of the group’s bylaws to the State Executive Committee for review and;
1. The group’s stated purpose and bylaws comply with and assist in the Party’s purpose of electing Republicans to office and;
2. The group provides a list of at least 25 active members and their contact information to the State Executive Committee and;
3. All voting members of the group are registered Republicans.